May 2105 Minutes

Washington County Association for Mental Health

May 26, 2015

Minutes

 

Present: Fay O’Neill, Kevin Suggs, Dianna Cooley, Cheryl Gillette, M’Liss Jenkins, Tracie Goad, Sheri Robertson, Kimberly Hill, Jacqueline James, Charlene Dodd, Shanon Cox, Kerry Ickleberry

 

  1. Call meeting to order and introductions
  2. Approval of last month minutes – Sheri motioned to approve, Tracie seconded.
  3. Committee Chair reports
    1. Parenting – vacant position – no report
    2. Substance Abuse – Kerry Ickleberry – M’Liss presented for Kerry. WCWI wrote a proposal to Cherokee Nation for a Substance Abuse prevention grant and it was approved. We haven’t seen the scope of work yet, but we are assuming there will be a strategic plan. Prescription drug use will be addressed. Proposed start date will be July 1st.
    3. Marketing – Ealisa Adams – Kim presented for Ealisa. Our Facebook and website are both up and running. Please check them out. If you have not already done so please sign up for the newsletter on the website which will sign you up to receive emails from the Association.
    4. Workforce Development – M’Liss Jenkins
      1. Annual Suicide Prevention Awareness – Scheduled for Tuesday, September 8th. We will also be doing Suicide Prevention Week all week long.
      2. Family Life Symposium – Thursday, Oct 8th and Friday, Oct 9th.
      3. Ethics – Monday, June 29th. We need to get the word out right away. There will be 2 separate trainings, 3 for supervisors and 2 for ethics. . We need to nail down a location. Kim will ask Ealisa to put that on the calendar. Kim will be added to the Workforce community. Committee will meet to discuss time and date for July-Dec training
      4. M’Liss spoke with Angie Metcalf about a Therapeutic Make and Take. She also is in the process of working on a training with Judy Dupell?
      5. M’Liss asked that if there are certain topics that you would like to see training on to please let us know .
      6. Shanon Cox also discussed their Animal Therapist to come and do a training with staff. Shanon will send the info to Kim so that Kim can work out the details with cost, etc.
    5. Finance – Sheri Robertson reports that we had a nice turn out for DSM-5 training. We had 14 showed up. We will make approximately $420 for the training, expenses 144 for UPS PO Box rental for the year, $300 speaker fee, 5428.22 Balance. We need to be thinking of other ways to get some revenue in. We need to see a budget so that we can have a base for our Fundraising drive. We may consider raising the cost of our trainings.
    6. Health Homes – Kimberly Hill and Sheri Robertson
      1. Sheri reports that they currently have 50 families enrolled in Health Homes at Day Springs. She also reports that that ey are currently hiring for all positions, including case managers, Care Coordinators, Family Support Providers.
      2. There was discussion regarding job opportunities being posted to the website.
      3. Kim reports that GLMHC is currently serving approximately 150 Health Homes children. GLMHC is fully staffed and making progress towards getting an on-site Nurse Practioner. Kim reports that GLMHC has hired a Nurse Practioner, Faith Murray-Taylor. GLMHC is currently waiting for her license to be transferred over to Oklahoma. Kim also reports that the ONIT (Oklahoma Now Is the Time) transition program is up and running. Please notify Kim if you have any referrals for Health Homes, Wraparound, or ONIT.
      4. Kim also reported that in addition to Day Springs and GLMHC that YouthCare is also a Heath Home provider for the area. Discussion took place regarding getting someone from YouthCare to participate in the Association. Kerry Ickleberry will invite Kim Adams to the meeting.
  4. Resignation: Tracie Goad has sent a letter of resignation as the Vice President of the association. She will still be a member and involved, but we are now looking for a new VP.
  5. Growing the Association
    1. Website: http://wcamh.org/
      1. Please visit the website and ask others to. When there subscribe to the newsletter. I will be using the e-mails of those who sign up for future e-mails about WCAMH.
      2. Don’t forget, once you sign up for the newsletter you have to confirm the email address from a message that is automatically sent.
    2. Facebook: www.facebook.com/wcamh.org
      1. Share with others on your Facebook
    3. Ideas for getting new members
      1. Developing promotional materials – brochures or postcards, something that describes our association
      2. Bringing parents or others in the community – Cheryl discussed connecting with NAMI and Torrey Place. Cheryl provided a brief description of what NAMI does in the community. They hold support groups and support Torrey Place.
      3. Reaching out to other organizations – NAMI, YouthCare, Employee assistance programs (i.e., Truity, Phillips, Conoco), Transition of Care – first responders here in town – we could organize a time to go and present to their group and vice versa.
      4. Have someone talk about the Association at the trainings to promote it.   Have something to give out at the trainings.
      5. Can send “Invitations” to community members – create the invitations so that members can hand them out. Putting these in goodie bags.
      6. Get materials together then have all mental health agencies come to talk. – get invitations sent to other agencies, expand to law enforcement to come out, what are their needs, what’s lacking that they aren’t getting. Kim will contact Creoks to invite.
      7. Have a speaker come every month to talk about what they are doing at their agency
      8. Get P66 or COP employees coming to meetings
      9. Volunteers – Fay, Tina, Jacqueline, Patty
      10. Other to assist.
      11. Jacqueline contacted Cherokee Nation Board of Representative to come, Jacqueline also talked with Corie Plummer. M’liss recommended contacted Sam Bradshaw.
  6. New Business:
      1. Fund Raising: We need some ideas to raise some money for the association.
        1. Booth at Sun Fest next year
        2. 5k or 1 mile fun run – Tracie reports that there are only certain routes that are approved. There was discussion of the fear that there are already so many in the area. Costs includes tshirts, chips/bibs, setting up, reserves come out on donation, portapotties, water, food, etc. Most of the money comes from sponsorships, which is getting more difficult because there is so many. Obstacle courses?
        3. Masonic Lodge Breakfast – send a letter to the Masonic Lodge and what we do, getting everyone to sell tickets, and get volunteers to participate.
        4. American Legion Bingo Night – ask Sarada about getting that set up.
        5. Percentage of money from a Restaurant – you really have to Market it, if you have enough people to market it. Rib Crib, Garfields, Monterey’s Chilis. Once there are more likes on Facebook.
        6. If we have events where Phillips Employees volunteer for us, Phillips will match their hours with a donation. If we have an event where we can label as a Day of Caring event then we could have a match.
        7. M’Liss reports that we used to get a lot of funding through Phillips. They do an annual giving from June to August. You have to write a grant. Phillips 66 changed and they only do invites now. How do we get invited? They have changed their focus. Jenny Brown is the contact. Cheryl will contact Jenny to see how to apply.
        8. Bartlesville Community Foundation also offers a grant. We need our budget for all of these opportunities. Sheri will put together for next meeting.
        9. Other companies?
        10. M’Liss discussed that we used to do depression/anxiety screenings.
        11. What are our strategies? Where can we get the biggest bang for our buck?
      2. New members – Cheryl Cox and Shanon Cox. Dianna motion to approve, Charlene seconded. Approved.
      3. Costs of speakers – $250
  7. Upcoming Events
    1. Annual Suicide Prevention Awareness – Scheduled for Tuesday, September 8th. We will also be doing Suicide Prevention Week all week long.
    2. Family Life Symposium – Thursday, Oct 8th and Friday, Oct 9th.
    3. Ethics – Monday, June 29th. We need to get the word out right away. There will be 2 separate trainings, 3 for supervisors and 2 for ethics. . We need to nail down a location. Kim will ask Ealisa to put that on the calendar. Kim will be added to the Workforce community. Committee will meet to discuss time and date for July-Dec training
    4. Run the Streets is doing a Run the Streets Jr. and is starting at Kane. Begins July 14th. Will be training for a 5K. Will focus on fun stuff. Mentors will come out and will have Junior mentors. If you have 4th and 5th graders currently (going into 5th and 6th grade) at Kane that you think are interested please refer them to Tracie. There is no extra funding. Everything is free. Shoes, shirts, and pay for them to run the Run for Relief 5K. 30 kids is the number they are shooting for and currently have 10.
    5. Youth to Youth camp coming up in July in Claremore – put on by the Cherokee Nation. Looking for Youth to attend, through the Anti-Drug Network, M’Liss will get us the applications. Teaches leadership skills, designed to help them not be involved in risky behaviors. You have to be going into 8th grade.  Terri Ervin is heading this up. Email Kim with Youth interested. Cost is $99 and the Anti-Drug Network will cover.
    6. Garage Sale, June 5th 8-5, Saturday 8-12. At Torrey Place to raise money for their walk. If you have donations of items you want to sell. You can bring donations starting Friday and can bring them to the club house. Send out Cheryl 918-841-2693. Cheryl will send out blurb.
    7. BPS is bringing Ruby Pain June 1st at the Fine Arts Center. Tips on Generational Poverty.
    8. Bartlesville Schools is doing free lunches. Post on the website. Do we need
    9. Please Like the WCWI Facebook page.
    10. Put address on the website of where the meetings are instead of just the name.
  8. Motion to Adjourn – Sheri motioned to adjourn, Charlene seconded.At the Will Rogers Complex on Frank Phillips Room 110
  9. Next Meeting: June 23, 2015 at 8:30 am

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close
loading...